Stress and anxiety are two of the most notable health conditions of our time. They are ever-present, and humans have exhibited both positive and negative effects from them since the beginning of time. Today, the numbers of those affected by acute or chronic stress and anxiety are on the incline. As a result, many of us are unable to cope. Perhaps modern society is evolving quicker than our ability to adapt, and the pressure of trying to play catch-up is causing further consternation than we can deal with. (1)
Whatever the reasons, be it the high standards we, or others, set for ourselves, possibly politics, the economy, or even the vast diversity of people we encounter, rising stress can harm our health.
Risks Of Stress
Chronic stress interferes with your ability to function normally over an extended period. According to the American Psychological Association, stress is becoming a “public health crisis,” with money, work, family, and physical wellbeing being some of the main causes. (2)
Reducing levels of stress is vital to wellness and can help us reduce the risk of developing serious health problems in the future, some of which may include:
- Heart disease
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Stomach problems
Five Herbs & Ingredients For Instant Stress Relief
For people who struggle to incorporate major lifestyle changes into their routine, herbal supplements can be quick, effective, and safe.
Many herbs and ingredients can aid stress relief quickly, and with new scientific research techniques available, the advantages of herbal supplements are becoming more obvious.
Be Serene Instant Relief is an established product providing almost immediate assistance from stress and anxiety. It is packed full of natural ingredients proving to be a safe and effective method against mental or emotional pressure.
Here are five herbs and ingredients active in Be Serene, that are highly effective in relieving stress almost instantly.
- Mulungu: A powerful, yet gentle plant, Mulungu is a tree native to Brazil. It has been used in traditional medicine to relieve anxiety for thousands of years and works extremely well to relax and relieve stress. Other benefits may include an ability to reduce nicotine cravings, improve heart health, boost brainpower, and even protect against epileptic seizures. (6)
- California Poppy: The official state flower of California, sometimes referred to as the Cup of Gold, or the feel-good herb, is a wildflower used in herbal practices as a treatment for stress, anxiety, insomnia, pain, and tension. It works in conjunction with the central nervous system to promote feelings of relaxation and calm. (7) Usually sold in tincture form on its own or formulated with other ingredients.
- Albizia: Native to Asia and known as the happiness bark or happiness herb, Albizia is derived from the Albizia Julibrissin tree also known as the mimosa or Persian silk tree. It’s extensively used in traditional Chinese, and modern herbal medicine to promote feelings of calm, tranquility, and relaxation.
Studies and research showing properties procured from the dried leaves of Albizia lebbeck may have anti-anxiety properties. (8)
It is also believed to elevate mood, protect memory against amnesia, and fight against depression. (9)
Research has also revealed the Albizia species to have many other health benefits and extracts are rich in antioxidants, inflammatory-reducing, antibacterial and anti-diabetic properties (10)
- GABA: Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid or GABA is a naturally-occurring amino acid that works as a neurotransmitter, functioning as a chemical messenger in your brain.
GABA impedes, or blocks certain brain signals and reduces activity in your nervous system. This produces a calming effect that can help with feelings of stress, anxiety, and panic. It is also thought to help prevent seizures. (11)
Popular in many supplements, GABA is a property not found in many food sources, although some foods may influence how GABA performs within the brain. Such foods include fruits, vegetables, teas, and red wine.
Gaba supplements are usually purchased in capsule form and can also be formulated with other natural ingredients. (12)
- L-Theanine: Found mainly in green and black tea leaves, and to a lesser extent in some mushrooms, L-Theanine is an amino acid that is not produced by the body. However, some studies have found promising results and published data suggest L-theanine administered at daily doses ranging from 200 to 400 mg for up to 8 weeks may induce anti-stress effects. (13)
Other benefits from L-Theanine may include better sleep, relaxation, weight loss, lower blood pressure, a strengthened immune system, and improved attention and focus. (14)
Other Lifestyle Choices To Aid Stress Reduction
Diet, exercise, and lifestyle choices to reduce stress are increasing in popularity as people step away from conventional drugs and search for natural ways to improve their health. To complement and support natural herbs for stress relief, here’s a quick run-down of a few other changes that can be made.
Switching to a diet closer to the Mediterranean style of eating, full of stress-busting properties, has long been thought to be extremely beneficial to health and longevity.
Foods that may help in stress-reduction include Brazil nuts, natural yogurt, fatty fish, pumpkin seeds, eggs, dark chocolate, and green tea. (3)
The key to the Mediterranean diet is that it is low in all packaged, processed, and inflammatory foods. It is based on eating Organic, Whole foods that are prepared at home from scratch. This means less fast food, boxed food, pre-prepared food, etc.
Smoking is used as a way to cope with stress. Many smokers say it relaxes them and promotes a feeling of calm. This, however, is very short-lived and smoking can exacerbate stress due to withdrawal symptoms, which can also lead to conditions such as increased blood pressure and heart rate, constricted blood vessels, tensed muscles, and may decrease oxygen levels to the brain and body. (4)
Exercise is a known stress reliever that increases self-confidence, improves mood, and helps you relax. During exercise, feel-good endorphins are released by the brain and can also negate the effects of stress. (5) Exercise helps improve sleep patterns which can be disrupted by stress and anxiety.
Other activities such as Yoga, Tai Chi, or Meditation can also help relieve stress and aid relaxation.
A few minutes each day practicing slow breathing techniques can help you to relax and may induce a sense of calm.
With many supplementary products on the market stating an abundance of health benefits, promoting many different herbs and ingredients, it is always best to research the labels to give a clear understanding of what you are taking.
Be Serene always uses safe, natural, and authentic ingredients in their products, and can be a vital weapon in your armory in the fight against the modern stress crisis.